Learn how to make a beautiful lattice pie crust over your fruit pies by following my easy step-by-step guide. The weaving technique is way easier than it seems!
For pie crust x2:
- 3 1/2 cup (15 oz/420g) all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup + 4 Tablespoons (10 oz/280g) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (5 oz/150 ml) water
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water or milk
- 2 Tablespoons sugar, for decoration (optional)
For the pie crust x2:
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Dice the butter into small pieces and crumble it with the flour until lumps are the size of small peas. Add sugar and stir well. Pour in the iced cold water, little at a time, mixing with a fork. Finish by hand and shape into a ball.
- Divide in two equal parts and wrap each of them into cling film. Place in the refrigerator and chill for about 30 minutes.
How to lattice a pie crust:
- Roll out the first dough on a lightly floured work surface into a large circle about 3 inches (7 cm) wider than the width of the pan dish, and around 1/4″ (5 mm) in thickness.
- Carefully fold the dough, lay it across the pie dish, and gently unfold the crust, using your hands to fit the dough down into the pan. Burst any air bubbles with a fork.
- Fill with pie filling, making sure the filling is a little higher than the pie (it will collapse a little bit while baking).
- Roll out the second pie dough about 3 inches (7 cm) wider than the width of the pan dish. Carefully fold the dough, then unfold on a sheet of parchment paper (if at anytime of the process the dough is too warm to handle, just place the baking sheet in the refrigerator and allow to firm a little).
- Cut the dough into strips, using a pizza cutter or pastry roller. The width of the strips is totally up to you, and you can make one or two braids with the strips if you wish.
- Arrange half of the strips over the pie, in parallel lines.
- Fold back every other strip (or process two by two, it’s up to you).
- Lay a strip over the pie, perpendicular to the others.
- Fold the parallel strips back down, then fold up all the other strips.
- Continue this layering process, weaving the strips over and under each other, until all the strips have been used.
- Trim any excess dough to about a 2-inch (5 cm) overhang.
- Crimp the edges to secure the strips with the bottom pie crust.
- Brush the pie with egg wash (beaten egg and water/milk), and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake according to recipe instructions, or until the crust is golden.
Keywords: Lattice pie crust