Healthy whole wheat apple bread is a low fat recipe prepared with whole wheat flour, shredded apples and is lightly sweetened with applesauce. This simple apple bread recipe is a winner.
- 1 cup (140g) shredded apples*
- 1 1/2 cups (170g ) whole wheat flour
- ½ cup (100g) cassonade (or coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons (40g) honey
- 1 cup (220g) unsweetened applesauce**
- 1/2 cup (120g) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30g) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC) and grease a loaf pan with butter.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together shredded apples, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs with honey, unsweetened apple sauce, greek yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Finally, fold the melted butter into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes. Cover with tin foil, and bake for another 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Enjoy!
* You need approximately 2 apples to make 1 cup (140g) shredded apples. Use a coarse grater rather than a fine grater that would result in apple puree rather than shredded apples.
** To make homemade apple sauce: dice 4 medium-size apples, and cook with 3/4 cup (180 ml) water, until soft. Puree in a food processor, and it’s ready!
Recipe inspired and adapted from Fit Foodie Finds.
Keywords: healthy apple bread