This healthy vegan sweet potato chili with black beans is incredibly easy to prepare and packed with some delicious warm, hearty flavors. It makes a wholesome vegan meal for those chilly days ahead.
For the chili:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 pinch of chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste or tomato puree*
- 2 cans (800g) black beans
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup (160ml) water
- 1 cinnamon stick
To serve (optional):
- Fresh coriander
- 1 small jalapeño, sliced
- Vegan sour cream
- Avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place diced sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl and toss with 2 Tablespoons of oil, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring from time to time to make sure sweet potatoes are evenly roasted on all sides.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining Tablespoon of oil in a medium sized pot on medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper, and leave to fry for a few minutes, then add the garlic. Let cook for another couple of minutes and then add cumin seeds, smoked paprika, chili powder, and sun-dried tomato paste or tomato puree. Give a good stir so everything is well coated, then add the drained black beans, chopped tomatoes, water and cinnamon stick. Bring to a gentle simmer and leave for about 25-30 minutes. The chili should be thickening but still saucy, and turning a deep red color while starting to caramelize a little.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes and keep some extra for serving. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chili with the additional roasted sweet potatoes and top, and add extra toppings of your choice and enjoy with white rice.
* I personally prefer sun-dried tomato paste (or sun-dried tomatoes puréed in a food processor) over tomato paste, but both work in the recipe.
Keywords: chili vegan aux patates douces