Grandma’s nourishing lentil soup with roasted vegetables and all-spice is hearty, healthy, and packed with plant-based protein. With 5 ingredients only, it’s the perfect comforting weekday soup.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced (about 1 1/2 cup or 190g)
- 1/2 small butternut squash (about 2 cups or 285g)
- 1 teaspoon all-spice
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup (150g) green lentils, uncooked*
- 1/2 cup (100g) dried chickpeas, soaked overnight*
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable stock
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium until shimmering. Add the onions, and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes, butternut squash and pan-roast them on medium-high for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Season with all-spice, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the uncooked lentils, chickpeas, and pour in the vegetable stock. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes, until vegetables are cooked through and fork-tender.
- Add soup to a blender and mix until smooth, adding more vegetable stock if desired to adjust the thickness of the soup. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with sesame seed and/or flaxseed over each bowl and enjoy!
* Alternatively, and especially if you have leftovers, you can use cooked or canned lentils (count 2 and 1/4 cups cooked lentils) or chickpeas (count 1 and 1/2 cup cooked or canned chickpeas). If doing so, add them just before mixing the soup with the blender.
Keywords: Nourishing roasted vegetable lentil soup