Vegetarian and gluten free, these easy quinoa patties made with goat cheese, lemon zest and mint are very refreshing. To serve with a yogurt sauce and a side of salad.
- 1 cup (200g) uncooked quinoa (OR 2 ½ cups pre-cooked quinoa)
- ¾ cup (80g) rolled oats, gluten-free
- 2 large eggs
- 7 oz (200g) fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup (150g) fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup (75g) slivered almonds
- 1 lemon (juice + zest)
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- Cook the quinoa: in a medium-size saucepan, place 2 cups (500 ml) water, rinsed quinoa and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a bare simmer and gently cook for about 15 minutes, or until you see small tails on the quinoa seeds. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, place cooked quinoa, oats, eggs, goat cheese, chopped mint leaves, slivered almonds, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper, and combine until mixed. Place in the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- Take out the mixture and form 10 to 12 patties with your hands. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the patties and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve with some yogurt or sour cream, and a side of salad. Store in a airtight container place in the fridge for up to 5 days. Can also be frozen.