French lentil salad with beets, baby spinach and feta cheese is a nourishing healthy winter salad recipe, naturally gluten-free and easy to make!
For the French lentil salad:
- 1 cup (150g) French or green lentils, dried (about 2 cups cooked)
- 2 small beets, steamed or roasted, peeled, and quartered
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces (about 100g) baby spinach
- 5.3 ounces (150g) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
For the honey apple cider vinaigrette:
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon herbes de provence (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse lentils, then pour into a saucepan. Cover with triple the volume of cold water and cook for about 20-25 minutes, until tender but not mush. Drain under cold water and set aside.
- Steam or cook beets in boiling water until tender, or alternatively wrap them in foil and roast in the oven for 45-60 minutes at 400°F (200°C), until cooked through. Once they’re cool enough to handle, peel off skin and cut into quarters.
- Whisk all the ingredients of the vinaigrette in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix lentils with baby spinach, beets, shallots, and crumbled feta cheese. Toss with the vinaigrette. Transfer to a large serving plate, and add sliced avocado just before serving, sprinkle with sesame seeds if using, and enjoy!
Keywords: French lentil salad