This Vegan Thai Green Curry is fragrant, creamy, spicy and super nutritious. Naturally gluten-free, it makes a perfect quick yet healthy dinner.
For the green curry:
- 1 block (400g) firm tofu, diced (optional)*
- 1 large red pepper, finely sliced
- 1–2 small heads broccolini or 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2–3 teaspoons green curry paste
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2-inch (3 cm) knob of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 piece lemongrass, smashed
- 3 small cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon tamari
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon cashew butter**
- 1 can (400 ml) full fat coconut milk
- 2–3 leaves Thai basil
- 1 handful snow peas
- 1/2 lime, zest and juice
- Jasmine or basmati rice
- Fresh basil or cilantro
- Cashews or peanuts, chopped
- Lime juice
- Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan and once hot, sauté the diced tofu on all sides, until goldent brown. Set aside.
- Place the pan back on the heat, add a little bit more oil and sauté red pepper and broccolini (or broccoli florets) for a couple of minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add one tablespoon of oil, green curry paste, ginger, smashed lemongrass and garlic over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes until aromatic, stirring constantly to prevent from burning.
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, tamari and peanut butter and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and whisk well to dissolve the cashew butter. Infuse thai basil leaves and simmer for 6-8 minutes, until reduced slightly and the curry is thickened to your liking.
- Add the diced tofu and vegetables and continue simmering until they are just-tender. Squeeze in the lime juice.
- When ready to serve, spoon into bowls over jasmine or basmati rice. Top as you like with fresh herbs and additional nuts.
* A curry is a very forgiving recipe and you can go with or without tofu.
** I like to use cashew butter because it is neutral in taste. Another option is to use almond butter or if you don’t mind additional flavors to your curry, you can go for peanut butter.
Keywords: vegan green curry