Easy tomato red lentil stew with spinach is my go-to dal recipe for cozy evenings. It’s warm, full of hearty flavors and naturally healthy, vegan and gluten-free. I’m confident it will become your new favorite too.
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) red lentils, rinced
- 4 1/2 cups (1L) vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup canned crushed tomato*
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- 5 ounces (150g) fresh baby spinach
- Chili flakes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan or dutch oven, heat up the olive oil. Melt in the onions, diced, until soft and translucent.
- Add red lentils and cover with broth or water. Bring to a boil, cover tightly, reduce heat and simmer until they are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring regularly. Pour crushed tomatoes (or tomato sauce) and stir well.
- Add cherry tomatoes, fresh baby spinach and give a good stir. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, add some chili flakes, and serve with a side of rice.
- Alternatively you can use marina tomato sauce.
Keywords: red lentil stew