Easy strawberry shortcake is a dazzling summer dessert, that can be ready in just 30 minutes. It features some delicious macerated strawberries spooned over a sweet scone-style biscuit and topped with whipped cream. So easy and ridiculously delicious!
For the shortcakes:
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- ½ cup (1 stick/115g) very cold butter*, diced
- 1 large egg**
- 1 cup (240 ml) homemade buttermilk***
For the honey butter:
- 1/2 cup (50g) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 pinch sea salt
- About 1 pound (450g) fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy whipping cream
- Fresh mint leaves or basil leaves
For the shortcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add pea-sized pieces of butter throughout the dough, then pour in the buttermilk and egg and mix just until the ingredients are combined. The dough will be sticky but don’t keep working it. You should be able to see the butter pieces in the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface and knead 10-15 times. If the dough is super sticky just sprinkle on some additional flour.
- Pat the dough out to 3/4 – 1 inch (2-2.5 cm) thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter or glass.
- Place the biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- For the honey butter, combine softened butter with honey and sea salt in a bowl, then lightly brush the honey butter on top of the biscuits.
Berries and assembly:
- Cook half of the strawberries (keep the other half fresh) with sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally, until berries are softened and mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream to soft peaks.
- Split shortcakes and fill with berry compote, whipped cream mixture, and additional fresh strawberries with mint or basil. Serve immediately.
* The key to success ro this recipe is the use of very cold butter. The best option is to dice butter and place it in the fridge again until ready to use.
** You can also try the recipe without eggs, the texture will be lighter and fluffier but it works fine too.
*** To make homemade buttermilk, place 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in a measuring cup. Pour milk until you reach the one-cup lever, stir and let sit for 5 minutes. Easy!
Keywords: Strawberry Shortbread with Whipped Cream