This Asian-inspired vegan and gluten-free Pad Thai is quick and easy to put together, and makes a colorful, healthy and satisfying dish.
For the pad thai:
- 200 g (7 oz) wide rice noodles*
- 2 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1–2 garlic clove(s), finely sliced
- 1 hot red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ small broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, shaved into ribbons with a speed peeler
- ¼ cup (30g) roasted & unsalted peanuts, crushed
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, to garnish
- 1 lime, to serve (optional)
For the sauce:
- 5 Tablespoons gluten-free** soy sauce
- 2–3 Tablespoons maple syrup, adjust to taste
- Cook rice noodles according to the package instructions*, but do not cook them fully as you’ll give them another minute or two in the wok after. Drain, stir a little bit of oil through them to prevent them from sticking together, and set aside.
- Heat one Tablespoon of oil in a wok or a large frying pan. Once hot add spring onions, garlic and chilli, stirring constantly until fragrant. Transfer to a separate dish.
- Heat up another tablespoon of oil in the same wok / frying pan, and stir-fry broccoli, and stir for about 2 minutes. Add the red pepper and carrot ribbons, and stir-fry until cooked yet still crunchy. Transfer all vegetables to a separate dish.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl, and pour the sauce to the bottom of the wok / frying pan. Add in noodles and give them a good stir with the sauce. Add spring onions, chilli, garlic and stir-fried vegetables. Mix everything well and let it warm up, stirring the whole time, for a minute or two.
- Serve in plates and add the crushed peanuts on top with fresh cilantro and lime if using.
* After you immerse them in soaking water, give the noodles a good stir to prevent them from clumping together and sticking to the bottom of the pot, and another stir half way through the soaking time.
** Note that regular soy sauce contain gluten, so make sure the one you purchase if gluten-free if you are following a gluten-free diet.
Keywords: vegan pad thai