Easy eggplant chickpeas curry is a delicious, creamy, and comforting plant-based recipe. It’s also naturally vegan, gluten free, and loaded with protein.
- 2–3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 small-medium eggplants, chopped
- 1/2 cayenne pepper, minced (optional)
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz/425g) chickpeas*, drained and rinsed
- 1–2 Tablespoon curry powder (or 1 tbsp curry paste instead)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt & pepper
- 1 can (400 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
- Heat a large pan with olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add onions and eggplants and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add cayenne pepper, garlic, and cook for one more minute. Add olive oil at anytime if it’s too sticky.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas*, and add them to the pan.
- Add all the spices, season with salt and pepper, and stir well. Cook for one more minute.
- Pour coconut milk and simmer for another 4-5 minutes, with a lid on.
- Serve your curry with yasmin rice and a side of fresh cilantro.
* You can keep the chickpea water to make some vegan chocolate mousse for dessert.
Keywords: eggplant chickpea curry