Looking for a classic donut recipe that never fails? These easy chocolate frosted donuts have everything you ever asked for: a perfect dough in texture and a delicious chocolate glaze, made with real chocolate.
For the donuts:
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) homemade buttermilk*
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
For the chocolate glaze:
- 1/2 cup (90g) chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoon honey or agave syrup
- 2 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C) and spray your donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together the eggs, homemade buttermilk*, vanilla and vegetable oil. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, and mix well.
- Transfer the dough into a piping bag and fill each donut cavity about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the doughnuts spring back when touched (do not overcook or they will dry out). Allow to cool slightly in the pan before removing.
- For the chocolate glaze: place chocolate, butter, honey (or agave), and water in a medium bowl. Melt in 20 second increments in the microwave, stirring after each time, until completely melted and smooth.
- Dip the tops of the donuts into the chocolate glaze and then cover with sprinkles. Let cool for 20 minutes until the glaze is set, and enjoy preferably the same day.
* To prepare your homemade buttermilk, pour one tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar in a measuring cup. Cover with milk up to 3/4 cup, and stir well. Let sit for about 5 minutes before using.