Take the shakshuka to the next level with this deluxe shakshuka recipe, featuring the classic baked eggs and tomatoes with an extra kick of spicy roasted potatoes and chickpeas.
- 3–4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound (225g) small yukon potatoes, halved
- 1 15-ounce can (425g) chickpeas, drained and dried
- 2 teaspoon ground paprika, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced or diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 28-ounces cans (800g each) whole plum tomatoes, chopped + 1/3 of the juice for each can
- 1 teaspoon harissa sauce
- 5.3 ounces (150g) fresh baby spinach (optional)
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- 4 to 6 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup (5 ounces/140g) feta cheese, crumbled
- Chopped cilantro, for serving (or parsley)
- Heat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add halved potatoes and cook until softened, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add drained and dried chickpeas and cook for 2 additional minutes, shaking the pan regularly. Stir in half of the paprika, half of the chili powder and a pinch of salt. Transfer to a clean plate and wipe up the skillet with paper towel to re-use it.
- Heat the remaining olive oil, then add onions and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 10-12 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender. Stir in cumin, the remaining paprika and chili powder.
- Add the tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with 1/3 of the sauce or each can, and season with salt and pepper. When the sauce is hot, add baby spinach if using, until wilted, then place potatoes back and let simmer until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Using the back of a spoon, create 4 to 6 evenly spaced wells for the eggs, then carefully crack 1 egg into each, keeping the yolks intact.
- Sprinkle chickpeas and crumbled feta on top, then transfer skillet to the oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, sesame seeds and serve with crusty bread or pita bread alongside, if desired.
Keywords: Deluxe shakshuka