There is nothing quite like a gooey, crispy grilled-cheese sandwich. This one is loaded with curried cauliflower, fresh baby spinach, and vegan cheese.
- 4 large slices of thick sourdough bread
- 4–8 slices cheese, provolone style*
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil + 1 Tablespoon
- 2 large lemons, halved
- 1–2 teaspoons yellow curry
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the curried cauliflower:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl, combine cauliflower florets with olive oil. Sprinkle yellow curry powder and stir well.Transfer to the baking sheet, add the lemon halves, and season with salt.
- Roast for about 30 minutes or until cauliflower is tender and slightly golden brown.Halfway through the roasting time, toss the cauliflower and press the lemons over the cauliflower florets.
- Meanwhile, sauté the fresh baby spinach with the remaining olive oil in a small saucepan. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Layer the (vegan) cheese, spinach and curried cauliflower florets onto a slice of bread. Top with a slice of bread, spread with vegan butter on the outside of the bread. Repeat for the second sandwich.
- Transfer the sandwiches to a skillet over medium high heat. Cook until the cheese is melted, flipping once or twice to get both sides browned. Serve immediately!
* I used vegan cheese, provolone style but if you are not vegan just use melting cheese of your choice.