This quick everyday pasta dish features a deliciously creamy mushroom sauce and some crispy spiced chickpeas. An easy family-friendly vegetarian meal everyone loves!
- 8.8 ounces (250g) pasta of your choice: tagliatelle, fettuccine, penne
- 1 medium shallot or 2 small, minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups (400g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) white wine
- 2 cups (500 ml) heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 15-ounces can (286g) chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
- 1 Tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 pinch chili powder
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Parsley, chopped (optional)
For the creamy mushroom sauce:
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat and once hot, melt in the shallots until translucent, about one minute. Throw in mushrooms and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add garlic, sauté for 30 more seconds, season with salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat, add white wine and cook for a few minutes to allow the about half of the alcohol from the wine to evaporate.
- Pour in the heavy cream, bring to a boil, then turn the heat on low and simmer for a couple of minutes, until the sauce thickens (it should coat the back of a spoon).
For the chickpeas:
- In a separate skillet, add drained and dried chickpeas and cook for 2 additional minutes, shaking the pan regularly. Stir in the paprika, the chili powder and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
For the pasta:
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions. Keep aside 1 or 2 cups (250-500 ml) of the cooking water and then drain the pasta.
- Add warm pasta to the creamy mushroom sauce, stir and re-heat slightly if needed. If you want the sauce a little bit creamier, add some of the pasta cooking water.
- Serve immediately and top with spiced chickpeas on top as well as some grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley if desired. Enjoy!
Keywords: Creamy mushroom pasta