Whether you fancy an elegant breakfast or a festive starter, these easy creamy baked eggs with smoked salmon will never disappoint you!
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon dry white wine
- 8 Tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices of bread of your choice (sourdough, soft white bread…)
- 2 slices of smoked salmon, cut into strips
- A few sprigs of dill
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Prepare a shallow dish large enough to contain 4 ramekins. Fill it with water up to two thirds, and place it in the oven.
- In a small saucepan, melt the shallots in a tablespoon of butter. When translucent, deglaze with white wine. Reduce for a few minutes. Add the cream, stir, and remove from the heat.
- Divide the creamy mixture into the 4 ramekins. Break an egg over each one, and transfer the ramekins into the shallow dish.
- Bake in bain marie for about 10 minutes, or until the translucent white egg part becomes white and firm.
- In the meantime, toast the 4 slices of bread, then slice into thin strips or cut them with a heart-shaped cookie cutter (the last alternative is easier if you use soft bread).
- Remove the ramekins from the oven, garnish with the smoked salmon strips, and add a few sprigs of dill. Add some black pepper on top, and serve immediately with the toasted bread. Enjoy!