Classic American pumpkin pie with an easy flaky crust and a creamy spiced pumpkin filling using wholesome ingredients only.
For the crust:
- 1 3/4 cup (210g) all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons (140g) unsalted butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) iced-cold water
For the filling:
- 1 can (15oz/425g) pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (250 g) dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon (15 g) cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy liquid cream, whipped
- 1/4 (60 ml) cup whole milk
- For the crust: in a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Dice the butter into small pieces and crumble it with the flour until lumps are the size of small peas. Add sugar and stir well. Pour in the ice cold water, little at a time, mixing with a fork. Finish by hand and shape into a ball. Flatten the dough a little bit, wrap into cling film and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease a 9-inch (23 cm) pie pan, that is at least 2-inch (5 cm) deep.
- Roll the dough into a 13-inch (33 cm) circle and transfer it into the prepared pan. Trim the edges as needed.
- Line the pie crust with parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until the edges just start to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the weights and lining, and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- For the pumpkin filling: in a medium sized bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, the eggs, and brown sugar. Add the cornstarch, salt, spices, whipped cream and milk. Whisk vigorously until everything is combined; the filling will be slightly thick.
- Pour filling into the pre-baked crust and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, covering with foil at half time to prevent the edges from burning.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack and cool for 3 hours. Serve with whipped cream.