For a quick party dessert in a pinch, this churro-style cinnamon sugar tarte soleil with a chocolate dipping sauce is the answer.
For the tarte soleil:
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1/2 stick butter (50g), softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
For the chocolate dipping sauce:
- 5.5 ounces (150g) dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons whipping cream
For the cinnamon-sugar topping:
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- Roll out the first piece of puff pastry into a 12-inch (30 cm) circle. Repeat with second dough, setting one aside in the fridge until needed.
- In a bowl, combine together softened butter, sugar and cinnamon. Spread the filling all over the first piece of puff pastry, leaving 1/2-inch (1,5 cm) from the edges.
- Dab edges with water and place second dough on top.
- Set a small glass upside down in the middle. Using a sharp knife, cut away from glass in quarters.
- Cut each quarter in half, then make 3 strips inside each half (making 6 strips into each quarter). Repeat in the other quarters until you have a 24 “rays” of pastry emanating from the center. If at any point in the cutting the pastry feels annoyingly soft and hard to cut, just pop the tray in the freezer for a few minutes to firm it back up.
- Remove the glass. Place your finger near the center of each ray (where it is most likely to break off prematurely) and gently twist each strand a few times.
- Brush with beaten egg (with one tablespoon of water), bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate dipping sauce by melting chocolate and whipping cream in the micro-wave, stirring every 20 seconds increment.
- Remove tarte soleil from the oven. Brush with melted butter right away and top with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Remove the center piece by cutting all around and place a tiny bowl with the chocolate dipping sauce instead. Tear off rays of sun, dip into chocolate sauce, and enjoy!
Keywords: Churro cinnamon tarte soleil