Decadent, soft and tender carrot cake cookies filled with cream cheese. All the flavors of carrot cake rolled into cookies!
For the carrot cake cookies:
- 1 1/4 cups (150g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) quick oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (120g) unsalted butter , softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (90g) packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (65g) finely grated carrots
- 3/4 cup (90g) chopped walnuts
For the filling:
- 6 ounces (170g) cream cheese , softened at room temperature
- 9 Tablespoons (130g) unsalted butter , softened at room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup (125) powdered sugar
For the cookies:
- In a medium size bowl, mix together flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter with both sugars, until combined. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Set mixer on low speed and slowly add in the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in the grated carrots, then fold in walnuts. Cover the bowl and chill the dough for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape balls, using 2 tablespoons of dough for each of them, then place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing cookies about 2-inches apart.
- Bake for about 12 – 13 minutes, or until center is set. Allow to cool on baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
For the cream cheese filling:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese, butter and salt until smooth and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla and powdered sugar and continue to whip until smooth and very fluffy.
- Sandwich 2 cookies together with the cream cheese filling, and enjoy!
Recipe inspired and adapted from Cooking Classy.
Keywords: carrot cake, sandwich cookies