Forget all the banana bread recipes you have tried before, the only one you need is this one. Truly the best, with an extraordinary moist texture. Discover its secret ingredient now!
- 1 1/2 cup (180g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup (40g) chopped walnuts (optional)*
- 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk** (or substitute 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice + 1/2 cup milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease bottom and edges of one loaf pan with butter.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add walnuts if using (I recommend it) and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar. Mix in the egg. Puree the bananas with a fork and add them to the mixture. Pour in the buttermilk.**
- Add dry ingredients, alternating until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Bake for about 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before serving.
* Possibility to replace walnuts with pecans. Or if you are allergic to nuts, simply skip them.
** Make your own buttermilk is very easy. Just measure one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, and cover with milk until you reach 1/2 cup. Let sit for 5 minutes before using.
Keywords: banana bread, buttermilk banana bread