Best homemade hot chocolate is a rich and creamy hot chocolate recipe, prepared with real dark baking chocolate for more intense flavors.
- ½ vanilla pod
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 3 ounces (85g) 70% dark chocolate*, chopped
- ¾ cup (180 ml) heavy cream
- 1 stick cinnamon (optional)**
- ½ small chili pepper, seeded (optional)**
- Pour the milk into a medium saucepan. Make a slit through the vanilla pod, scrape the seeds and add to the saucepan together with the vanilla pod. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- In a separate saucepan placed on low heat, melt the chocolate together with the cream, stirring constantly to prevent chocolate from burning.
- Add unsweetened cocoa powder, and slowly pour in the hot milk over the chocolate mixture, a ladle at a time, stirring as you go to make sure it’s fully incorporated before adding more milk. This process enables the hot chocolate to be thick, creamy and perfectly chocolaty.
- If using, infuse the cinnamon stick and ½ chili pepper. Then, simmer for about 5 minutes on medium high heat until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly. When hot and fragrant, take out the chili, cinnamon stick and vanilla pod, and serve immediately in 2 bowls or cups.
* For best results, it’s important you use high quality baking dark chocolate. I recommend baking chocolate with a cocoa percentage of 70% or higher.
** You can replace the cinnamon stick with ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, the chili pepper with a pinch of ground chili pepper, or you can omit the spices altogether.
Keywords: Best Homemade Hot Chocolate