This comforting apple crisp is hands-down the best apple dessert to prepare anytime of the year. Serve with vanilla ice cream and watch it disappear.
For the filling:
- 5–6 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
For the crisp:
- 1/3 cup (80g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (90g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (60g) almond meal
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 10-inch (25 cm) oven-proof shallow dish with butter. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the diced apples with lemon juice and zest. Pour in the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, almond meal, sugar and cinnamon, then use your finger tips to pinch the softened butter and incorporate with the dry ingredients. Keep pinching and tossing together with your hands until evenly combined. You will be left with many pea sized pieces of butter mixed in with the oat mixture, resulting in a crumbly texture. Set aside. D
- Sprinkle over the apples and bake for 40 minutes or until slightly golden-brown. Allow to cool and serve cool or lukewarm with vanilla ice cream.
Keywords: apple crisp