This tomato galette is prepared with balsamic caramelized onions, heirloom tomatoes and fresh goat cheese, all tucked into a flaky pie crust. It makes a great end of summer light dinner, appetizer or brunch item.
For the crust:
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 240g) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup (60–80 ml) ice cold water, approx.
- 1 egg, beaten, for brushing
- Black and white sesame, for decoration (optional)
For the filling:
- 2 small-medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced + a few cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 5 ounces (140g) fresh goat cheese
- 2 small cloves garlic, halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh basil, for serving
- For the crust, combine flour and salt together in a medium bowl. Cut in the cold butter until mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Add ice cold water and gently knead the dough in a bowl until it all comes together. Shape into a ball and flatten it into a thick disk. Wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat one Tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan, and once hot, melt in the red onions on medium heat until soft and translucent. Lower the heat and pour in the balsamic vinegar. Cook until coated and slightly caramelized, stirring often, about 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the tomato slices in a large plate covered with paper towel and sprinkle with coarse salt. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a large circle. Trim the edge of the circle if needed in order to make a quite regular circle. Transfer the dough to a prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese over the crust, leaving a 2-3 inch (about 5-7 cm) border all around. Add the caramelized onions, and cover with the tomato slices on top, adding a few cherry tomatoes there and there. Sprinkle the cloves of garlic all over. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Gently fold the edges of the dough over the filling, overlapping the dough as necessary. Press gently to seal the edges.
- Brush the edges with the beaten eggs, sprinkle some sesame seed (optional) and bake at 375°F (190°C) for about 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the tomatoes cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Add some fresh basil leaves and serve warm or lukewarm.
Keywords: Goat Cheese Tomato galette