This easy 100% whole wheat pizza dough recipe will have you creating delicious and healthy thin-crust pizzas in no time.
For 2x 1 pizza dough:
- 1 cup (240 ml) lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons (7g) active dry yeast*
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups (220g) whole wheat pastry flour + more for kneading
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon cornmeal for lining the pan
- In a large bowl, combine lukewarm water, yeast and honey. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the olive oil, whole wheat flour and salt stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but is still sticky. Using your hands, on a floured surface, form the dough into a ball. Knead the dough for 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Rub the same bowl with olive oil, then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size**, punch it down and divide in two balls. Sprinkle cornmeal onto a floured surface and roll out each dough. Alternatively, use floured hands to stretch the dough into a circle, then place on the prepared baking sheet and stretch a little more, pinching the edges of pizza dough to form a crust. To get the dough super thin, briefly roll with a rolling pin.
- Garnish the pizza with toppings of your choice and bake at 450°F (230°C) for 15-20 minutes***, or until the edge is golden and crispy.
* If using instant yeast, use 1 2/3 teaspoon instant yeast. In this scenario, you do not need to re-hydrate the yeast in water. Simply mix the instant yeast with flour, add the salt, then pour the lukewarm water and olive oil.
** You can use the dough right after it doubled in size. For best results, punch it down after the first rise and place back in the bowl. Cover and place the bowl in the fridge over night or up to 3 days. Remove from the fridge 3-4 hours before baking.
*** If using a pizza stone, preheat the stone in the oven first, then place the dough, garnish with toppings, and bake for 15-20 minutes.