I have been making this eggplant stacks for many years now, and at each attempt it’s always a huge success. A simple recipe, quick to prepare and extremely tasty!
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick rounds
- Salt & pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 7 oz (200g) goat cheese
- A handful of walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Herbs of your choice (Thyme or Herbes de Provence)
- Chili flakes
- Liquid honey, to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick rounds. Lightly season them with salt on both sides and let sit on a paper towel for 30 minutes to let water come out from the eggplant.
- Place the eggplant slices onto a prepared baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Brush or drizzle some olive oil on top of each slice and grill them for about 5-7 minutes each side until cooked. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, slice the goat cheese into 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick slices.
- To assemble: top every two eggplant slices with some goat cheese. Add walnuts, and sprinkle crushed garlic, herbs, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Drizzle some honey on top and cover with the remaining eggplant slice.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 more minutes, until the cheese is soft and melted.