Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, these sweet potato fries served with an avocado dip make a perfect healthy snack!
With the upcoming weekend and Labor Day approaching on Monday, it’s the perfect time to share with you my absolute favorite american snack: sweet potato fries!
You might have noticed before how crazy I am about sweet potatoes, through various recipes on the blog such as the Sweet potato veggie burgers, the Sweet potato & goat cheese ravioli and the irresistible Sweet potato and peanut butter gratin (my favorite: I made it a thousand times already)! And today come the sweet potato fries, a snack or side dish I order anytime I have the occasion. They entirely replaced potato fries in my diet: they taste so much more!
Along with a huge burger or just as an easy snack with a dip, they always please me. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, they are much healthier than classic fries as they are here baked instead of fried. Actually I never ever fry food myself, and when I order food at the restaurant I always go for a baked version of any dish when possible. Get rid of the fatty, greasy taste of any fried food and you will appreciate the real taste of your ingredients instead.
Here, I baked my sweet potato fries together with olive oil, which is loaded with antioxidants and healthy fats. Sweet potatoes also offer great nutritional properties. Loaded with dietary fibers (4g per servings compared to 1.8g only for white potatoes), they also are one of the richest source of beta-carotene, a nutrient your body convert into vitamin A after consumption. Among many health properties, beta-carotene has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects, with the capacity to regulate your blood sugar levels giving the high amounts of fibers it contains. Also, its potassium load help the natural detox function of your body.
Pairing sweet potato fries with this easy healthy avocado dip make them healthier as the beta-carotene is better metabolized when paired with healthy fats, and avocado is definitely one of them. Here I suggest an easy healthy avocado dip. You could also imagine a guacamole to serve with your sweet potato fries, but in that case you’d better not to spice your fries to avoid an overlapping in taste/flavors.
Definitely, sweet potato fries served with an avocado dip are a favorite of mine. Super easy and quick to prepare, they make the ideal healthy low-carbs snack dish to indulge when watching a movie, or when I have friends coming over at the last minute. There is absolutely no reason not to try them!Print
Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, these sweet potato fries make a perfect healthy snack!
Sweet potato fries:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into sticks
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh cilantro, cut
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into sticks, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide.
- Toss them with olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Add the paprika, garlic, salt and pepper and toss well.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until brown and crisp on the bottom, about 10-15 minutes, then filp and bake until the other side is crisp, about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the avocado dip: in a food processor, mix the garlic cloves until minced. Add the ripe avocado, yogurt, fresh lemon juice, and mix until smooth texture. Season with salt and pepper, and add cilantro on top.
- Enjoy the sweet potato fries with the avocado dip.