These simple, soft, and chewy granola bars are the perfect quick homemade snack to provide you with energy anytime of the day. They are also vegan, gluten free and made with no added sugar.
- 5 unpitted dates
- 1 cup (250 ml) boiling water
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) coconut oil + 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 3/4 cups (250g) gluten free oats
- 1/3 cup (60g) mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (45g) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place the dates in a bowl and cover with the boiling water and leave to soak for at leas 5 minutes.
- After the dates are done soaking, drain the water and place the dates in a blender or food processor with the banana, 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and baking soda. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the banana-date mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the oats and the mini chocolate chips, and stir until well combined.
- Place the mixture into a greased 8×8 inch or 8×10 inch baking dish, and bake for 25 minutes until golden and firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate chips with one teaspoon of coconut oil. Once melted, drizzle all over the bars.
- Allow the chocolate to set before slicing. Store in a airtight container up to 5 days.