I finally found out THE ingredient that matches asparagus perfectly well: prosciutto ham.
Spring is to me strongly linked to the asparagus season. I remember when I was a kid my mom would come back from the garden in the early season with these precious asparagus. We would eat them fresh, slightly cooked and accompanied with some crème fraîche. Asparagus is a vegetable which makes you appreciate Mother Nature: you can enjoy them almost like they are. This year, I have had a huge craving for asparagus even from late winter. I tried a new recipe for a brunch with friends first, wrapping asparagus with some bacon and puff pastry. It was tasty but not as healthy as I expect when eating asparagus. So I worked on the recipe again and again. and I finally found out THE one that matches these beauties perfectly well: prosciutto ham.
Now with Easter around the corner, I would suggest you serve these asparagus with a delicate lemon dip and some soft boiled eggs. The right combination for an Easter brunch!
- 1 bunch of asparagus, rinsed and dry
- 100g prosciutto ham
- ½ puff pastry
- 3 Tablespoons (45g) heavy cream
- Fresh juice of ½ lemon
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) on grill position.
- Wrap the asparagus with the prosciutto ham alternating with the puff pastry.
- Grill the puff pastry and prosciutto wrapped asparagus for 10 minutes on one side, then 10 minutes on the over side.
- In the meantime, prepare the lemon dip by whipping up the heavy cream with the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.