Enjoy a delicious summer pie with fresh blueberries among other wild berries, almond flour, and a subtle cinnamon crust.
With the idea of baking a blueberry pie, I made a kind of benchmark in different countries. The traditional American one usually has a lattice on top, the Swedish one is filled with a vanilla cream and has a crumbly topping, the French one usually use almond flour between the crust and the berries. Unlike the two others, the French blueberry pie is not widely spread but mostly baked in mountain areas, where you can find blueberries.
Instead of playing with the different filling, I focused on the crust instead, and went for this version with cinnamon. The end of all this is a success story. The cinnamon crust is perfectly well balanced, giving a refined taste to the berries (I mixed in wild berries instead of having an all-blueberry pie). I added a neat twist: a bed of almond flour. A perfect dessert that you can serve with some vanilla ice cream on the side.Print
Enjoy a delicious summer pie with fresh blueberries among other wild berries, almonds, and a subtle cinnamon crust.
For the cinnamon crust:
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 ½ Tablespoon (20g) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅔ cup (150g) softened butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ Tablespoon icing sugar
For the filling:
- 2 Tablespoon (15g) almond flour
- 4 Tablespoon (50g) icing sugar
- 7 oz (200g) wild blueberries
- 3.5 oz (100g) wild blackberries
- For the cinnamon crust: in a large bowl, sift the flour and form a well in the center. Add salt, sugar, cinnamon and softened butter in the middle. Beat the eggs in a small bowl and add them to the well. Form a thick dough. Place the dough in between two large sheets of cling films and roll into a large disk. Cool the pastry in the fridge for two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 10-inch (26 cm) pie dish with the crust. Prick lightly with a fork and set aside.
- For the filling: mix the almond flour with icing sugar, and spread over the cinnamon crust. Add the berries on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F (180°C). Allow to cool before serving.