This chilled spicy tofu carrot cream with a twist of chorizo makes a wonderful and original tapas to serve as a fancy appetizer with friends.
Have you ever tried an incredible and mysterious mix of flavors in a very small portion? These small carrot creams will surprise your palate and you will probably ask for more!
As summer is treating us with some nice warm days, we usually look into a cold starter and that’s why we often end up with a fresh salad. But for a change, I suggest here a cold spicy carrot cream which reminds me a bit of Spanish tapas, partly because of the chorizo. It won’t take you too long to prepare, it looks colorful, and it tastes, as I said, amazingly flavorful.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 small red chili pepper
- Organic Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground curcuma
- 1 ½ teaspoon (7 ml) ground curry
- ½ teaspoon red chili pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 7 oz (200g) silken tofu, soft
- ⅓ cup + 1 Tablespoon (100 ml) cream
- 3.5 oz (100g) chorizo, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon (20g) unsalted butter
- Fresh basil leaves (for decoration)
- Preheat the oven on the grill position and when it's warm enough, grill the red pepper and the chili on all sides. Their skin must darken. When ready, remove from the oven, lay out in a bowl and cover with a small plate. Let them cool for a while and then remove the skin and seeds.
- Melt the onions in some olive oil until translucent. Add the spices, salt and pepper, and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add carrots to the onions and cook until they become slightly golden. Cover with ½ cup (120 ml) stock and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- In a blender, place carrots, red pepper, chili, and silken tofu with one Tablespoon of oil. Add some stock (not too much; the texture must be thick), and mix until smooth. Add the cream to obtain a silken texture and stir well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Divide into four glasses or ramekins, and place into the refrigerator for about 2 hours before serving.
- Just before serving, melt the chorizo in a pan with some butter. Place on top of each ramekin and add a few basil leaves to decorate. Serve immediately.