Quick and easy to prepare, these vegetarian stacks with eggplant and halloumi cheese with a touch of honey make a beautiful starter!
I created this vegetarian recipe from scratch as a variation of the winning duet goat cheese and honey salad. I love the combination between cheese and honey and thankfully there are plenty of different cheeses (and honeys). Since the halloumi cheese is quite chewy, eggplants balance out the dish adding a delightful softness to it. A good starter for a dinner, that you can serve with a side of green salad.
- 2 large eggplants
- 9 oz (250g) of halloumi cheese
- Liquid honey
- A handful of walnuts
- 1 clove of garlic
- Extra virgin Olive oil
- Herbs (Thyme, Oregano, cumin)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Rinse the eggplants and cut them into 0.5 inch thick slices and lay out them on the oven tray with baking paper. Brush them on both side with olive oil.
- Cut the halloumi cheese into slices and put them over half of the eggplant slices. Sprinkle the walnuts on top. Add garlic, thyme, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Then cover with the remaining eggplant slices.
- Grill the halloumi and eggplant stacks in the oven for 10 minutes at 400°F (200°C). Remove the tray from the oven and remove the top layer of the stacks while removing the top layer. Add a drizzle of honey over the halloumi cheese. Cover with the top layer again and grill again for 5-7 minutes in the oven.