Fragrant, moist, and tender Orange Pound Cake flavored with freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest.
I just refreshed the pictures of this orange pound cake recipe, which was one of my very first recipes on the blog. After almost 3 years blogging (it seems that I have been blogging my entire life already), the time has come to take care of my old recipes for which pictures didn’t give enough credit.
This orange pound cake is the perfect example. I have baked this recipe a hundred times already (probably more actually). It’s super easy, takes you 10 minutes max to prepare, and it tastes amazing: fragrant, moist, tender with a wonderful fresh and delicate taste of orange.
Almost every time I am invited somewhere at the very last minute and I am supposed to bring the dessert (yes, as a food blogger, your baking skills are often solicited) I go for this one. No need to go for a fancy recipe, often, simple is best!
And the good thing with this orange pound cake is that you can actually add a new twist to the recipe each time you bake it: adding a hint of cinnamon, some walnuts, cranberries, chocolate chips… or also melt one tablespoon of cocoa powder with half of the batter and it will become a wonderful marble cake. There are plenty of options depending on your mood, your tastes, and the ingredients you have at hand.
I have many good memories around this recipe but I think one of my favorite is when I baked it for breakfast last summer when my sister in law (Hi Anne-Lise!) and her family were visiting us in Stockholm. On a very sunny morning, we all gathered around a large wooden table and shared this deliciously moist cake with the kids, enjoying simple moments of life – the best ones!
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup (160g) caster sugar
- 1⅓ cup (160g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup (150g) salted butter
- 1 large orange (juice + zest)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour with the baking powder, stirring well.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and pour it into the batter.
- Juice and zest the fresh orange and incorporate.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.