A month ago, I was in Chicago on the 35th floor of our building, baking some French toast roll-ups and shooting a short tutorial video. It’s now time to share this amazing kid-friendly recipe with you!
French toasts are a huge favorite of mine and I like how versatile they can be. You can enjoy the classic ones, sweet with a hint of cinnamon, that you serve with some fresh berries and maple syrup (I’m dying for them!). Or you can go for an awesome savory version – see my Savory French Toasts topped with kale and balsamic onion jam.
This time, I added a little twist to the classic French toasts and turned them up into roll-ups! I found several French toast roll-ups on Pinterest lately and I really enjoyed the idea. Then I thought about the filling I could put inside and I almost felt like a child again when I thought of some mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. French toasts AND chocolate? I say YES!
So from the 35th floor in Chicago, I had lots of fun in the kitchen, baking these irresistible and fun French toast roll-ups. While shooting the video tutorial, I was literally drooling in front of these beauties – and so was my boyfriend cameraman. We ended up eating almost the whole batch ourselves! They are so outrageously good!!
There is actually nothing complicated in this recipe, but since it’s quite visual I figured a little video might help you understand better and feel more comfortable with the recipe. As always, please be indulgent with my forever French accent, hope you don’t mind!
Just one more thing before I leave you trying the recipe for good: feel free to use any other filling of your choice. You can for instance use some chocolate spread if it seems easier than using chocolate chips. And the recipe also works with many other fillings: cream cheese and berries, cinnamon rolls filling, strawberry jam, apple sauce, etc. Or just stick to this recipe and go for chocolate chips!
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Cut the crust from each slice of bread and flatten the slice out with a rolling pin.
- Place the mini marshmallows and the chocolate chips inside towards one end of the slice of bread.
- Roll the bread up tightly. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.
- Prepare the chocolate egg mixture: in a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract and one tablespoon of cocoa powder. Stir well.
- Prepare the chocolate-sugar mixture: in a plate, mix together sugar, cinnamon and one tablespoon of cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet set over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Dip each roll in the chocolate egg mixture, coating well and place them into the pan. Cook them until golden brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Add butter to the pan as needed.
- Take each cooked roll from the pan and roll immediately in the chocolate-sugar mixture until completely covered in sugar. Breakfast is ready!