Valentine's Day is around the corner and we find plenty of wonderful dessert recipes heart shaped everywhere on the web. But do you have a starter in mind? Today I suggest a lovely starter recipe that looks like a dessert and almost taste like a dessert. The perfect Valentine treat for you and your beloved!
Beetroot and goat cheese go perfectly along together and I love the sweet and salty taste from both ingredients together. Make it simple and sophisticated: just whip up a delicious beetroot gazpacho by mixing the needed ingredients,serve in some lovely glasses and top with a lovely goat cheese cream. Some pistachios on top of that and there you go!
This beetroot starter is also very versatile, and you can even imagine to have it for dessert if you are the kind of person who would go for cheese instead of dessert. Or you can serve it as a canapé in very small verrines! Whatever the way you serve it, it will sure be appreciated by your guests!
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- 7 oz cooked beetroot
- 1 small shallot
- 1 green apple
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- Salt & pepper
Goat cheese cream:
- 7 oz whipped cream
- fresh goat cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Pistachio (optional)
1. For the gazpacho: peel and mince the shallot. Peel, core and slice the green apple. Dice the green apple. Press half of a a lemon. Mix all the ingredients for the gazpacho in a blender, adding a little bit of water to keep the texture smooth but no too liquid either. Season with salt and pepper and mix one more time.
2. Divide evenly in 6 verrines or small glass jars that you fullfill each until two thirds.
3. For the goat cheese cream: whisk the whipped cream until you get a firm consistency.
4. Gently soften the fresh goat cheese with a rubber spatula. Season the cheese with salt and peppar.
5. Fold in 1 tablespoon of whipped cream into the fresh goat cheese. Then fold all the goat cheese into the whipped cream, stirring with a rubber spatula until no lumps remain. Season with salt.
6. Transfer the goat cheese cream into a piping bag, and top each verrine with the cream. Decorate with some crushed pistachios (optional).