A new year begins at Del's cooking twist and I wish you all the best for 2014! I'm really happy to count more and more of you reading and commenting my blog everyday. Thank you so much for your support!
Because we all ate like crazy around Christmas and New Year's Eve, a lot of us are now calling for detox recipes. So let's start the year with an original and healthy chicken recipe. I ordered a similar dish in a Cuban restaurant here in Stockholm a few weeks back and I literally fell in love with it! Coming back home then, I was already planning to create my own recipe.
Whereas you easily understand the use of lemon in a marinated chicken recipe, you might wonder wether cinnamon is really appropriate. However, the cinnamon and lemon taste good together and give a fresh touch to the chicken breasts. A great combo!
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 large lemons (juice and zests)
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch of ground cumin
- 1 small garlic, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 1 small handful of coriander, finely sliced (optional)
1. Grate the zest of one lemon and set aside.
2. Squeeze the juice of the lemons and pour into a medium size bowl together with olive oil and wine. Add all the ground spices, the cinnamon stick, the garlic and half of the lemon zests. Season with salt and pepper. Stir the marinade and pour it into a shallow dish big enough for the 4 chicken breasts.
3. Place the chicken breasts in the shallow dish and turn them several times so that they are coated with the marinade on all sides. You can even make some small cuts in the chicken with a knife to introduce spices. Cover with cling film and allow to marinate minimum 2 hours in the fridge.
4. Preheat the oven to 400F for ten minutes. Cook for 15-20 minutes the marinated chicken breasts in the oven on a rack over a large deep dish, in which you pour a little water to avoid fumes and otherer inconveniences.
5. When it's ready to serve, decorate with some lemon zests. You can also add some fresh coriander.