Every year around Christmas, it’s time for mulled wine gatherings in many houses. These events are, to me, strongly linked to different spices and scents like cinnamon, star anise or cloves…
Last year, as I was invited to a mulled wine gathering at the very cozy place of my friend Stéphanie, I whipped up for the first time this Cinnamon & Honey Cake with an Orange Glaze. Just the perfect mix of flavors you would expect for Christmas!
Cinnamon & Honey Cake with an Orange Glaze
A beautiful cake, deliciously flavored with Christmas spices!
Author: Delphine Fortin
Recipe type: Dessert
Yield: 8 servings
For the cinnamon cake:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 ¾ almond flour
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
For the Orange glaze:
- ½ orange (juice)
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Sliced almonds for decoration
- Preheat the oven at 350°F (180°C).
- Separate the egg white from the yolk. Whisk yolks with sugar until you get a foamy consistency. Add the melted butter, almond flour, wheat flour, yeast, honey and cinnamon and stir together.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Add to the batter and stir.
- Pour the batter in a mold and bake for 50 minutes at 350°F (180°C). Let cool on a rack.
- Prepare the Orange glaze: whisk together the juice of ½ orange, the icing sugar and the cinnamon. Pour over the cooled cake. Decorate with sliced almonds.