Did you ever combine onions and ricotta cheese together in a pie? I’ve got to tell you, the flavors are so rich that I just had to dub this pie “extravagant”. The honey-carmelized onions with the ricotta cheese melt in your mouth and… well, I just love it. I added some anchovies as well, which increase the sweet & salty taste of the dish. However, you can skip them and enjoy the pie as a simple association of onions and ricotta. A great vegetarian dish with a tasty crust made from scratch with whole-wheat flour.
Ingredients (serves 6):
For the pie crust with whole-wheat flour:
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
Onions and ricotta filling:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 large onions
- 2 tbsp thyme honey (or flower honey)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small handful pine nuts
- 8 small anchovy fillets (optional)
1. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the crust until they stick together and form a thick dough. Cover the bowl with a cloth and allow to cool at room temperature.
2. Peel and finely slice the onions. Stir-fry them in a pan with some olive oil until they become slightly golden. Add the honey and 2 tbsp of water. Cook 10 minutes on low heat. Add salt, pepper and red chilli powder.
3. Chop the basil leaves and mix with pine nuts and olive oil in a small bowl.
4. Preheat the oven to 410°F. Line a greased pie tin with the crust. Spread the pesto on the bottom, add the ricotta and finish with the caramelized onions. Decorate with anchovy fillets if you wish (personally, I love it). Serve with a side of green salad and some balsamic sauce.