Here is a recipe I whipped up from scratch. I was supposed to bring a cake for my friend Nanda’s 30th birthday (hello dear!) but I didn’t have so much time those days because of work obligations. So, I had to go for an easy baking recipe, something impossible to fail, which would taste a little bit special nonetheless.
I added some yoghurt in the batter to give a moist texture to the cake and swapped one third of the flour with almond flour. For the rest, if you know how crazy I am about oranges in my recipes, you won’t be surprised to find some orange juice and zests in this one. However, I would normally go for dark chocolate but I had a special craving for nutella that day. It cannot kill me, right?
The crafting of the recipe went very well, but I had a bad experience with the baking time. I was probably in a hurry, so I took the cake out of the oven a little too early and didn’t notice it was not not baked through and through. It’s only after a while that I discovered the raw batter underneath and had to bake the cake a second time. Because of that, I’m not so sure about the required baking time and I would recommend you be very careful. In the end, the cake didn’t look pretty because of the rebaking and I thought I would never put it on the blog. But then I tasted it, and so did all the guests at the birthday party. People loved it. I had some more for breakfast the following day and it tasted even better. Very moist and absolutely delicious. Give it a try!
- ½ cup Turkish yoghurt
- 1 ¼ white sugar
- 1 ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- ½ orange (zests + juice)
- 2 tbsp nutella
1. In a large bowl, blend together the Turkish yoghurt, sugar, flour, almond flour, baking powder, the eggs and sunflower oil until pale and smooth.
2. Transfer one third of the batter in a smaller bowl and blend roughly with the nutella.
3. Grate the skin of the orange half and juice it. Add the zests and the juice to the batter in the large bowl and stir.
4. In a greased loaf tin, pour the orange batter and the nutella batter in layers.
5. Bake in the oven for approx. 60 minutes (see my comments above) at 400 °F. Allow to cool completely before serving.