Have you ever tried an incredible and mysterious mix of flavors in a very small portion? These small carrot creams will surprise your palate and you will probably ask for more!
As summer is treating us with some nice warm days, we usually look into a cold starter and that's why we often end up with a fresh salad. But for a change, I suggest here a cold spicy carrot cream which reminds me a bit of Spanish tapas, partly because of the chorizo. It won't take you too long to prepare, it looks colorful, and it tastes, as I said, amazingly flavorful.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 1 onion
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 small red chili pepper
- 200g of silken tofu, soft
- 100 ml cream
- 1 tsp curcuma
- 1 ½ tsp curry
- ½ tsp red chili pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Organic Olive oil
- 100g of chorizo from Spain
- 20g butter, unsalted
- Fresh basil leaves (for decoration)
1. Preheat the oven on the grill position and when it's warm enough, grill the red pepper as well as the red chili pepper on all sides. Their skin must darken. When ready, remove from the oven, lay out in a bowl and cover with a small plate. Let them cool for a while and then remove the skin and seeds.
2. Peel and chop the onion. Fry it in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until it turns translucent. Add a pinch of salt, pepper and the spices and simmer for several minutes.
3. Peel the carrots and chop them into slices. Add them to the onions until they become slightly golden. Add some olive oil and simmer for approx. 30 minutes with 100 ml of stock. Stir reguraly (3 or 4 times).
4. Pour the red pepper and chili pepper (skinned and seeded), carrots, and silken tofu in a blender. Add onte tablespoon of olive oil, some stock (as needed, it must not be too thick) and mix. Add the cream to obtain a smooth texture. Taste and adjust the seasonning with salt and pepper as needed.
5. Divide into four glasses. Cool and place into the fridge for two hours.
6. Skin the chorizo and cut into slices (or small cubes).
7. Just before serving, melt the chorizo in a pan with the butter. Spread the sliced/diced chorizo in the center of each glass. Decorate with basil leaves and serve immediately.