This time of the year, strawberries pop up on every Swedish table, especially when Midsummer (this traditional and typical Swedish event that you have to experience at least once in your life – even more important than Christmas in this part of the world!) is approaching! I don’t really know why we find so many strawberries here (note to self: check it out) but it’s just impossible to miss them. They look gorgeous: colorful, juicyy and full of natural goodness.
I already used strawberries in several desserts this year and I still have plenty of recipes in mind. Today though, I’m cooking up a sweet & salty salad. I have a crush for every sweet/salty flavor mix and I had fun to create this REALLY EASY recipe!
I started with a base of rainbow quinoa (a blend of white, red and black quinoa), to which I added the salty feta cheese and the sweet strawberries, in order to go up and down on the flavor scale. Then I just tossed in different ingredients according to my mood of the day. The perfect salad for Midsummer, eller hur? Feel free to adapt this salad to suit your mood too, and let your creativity shine!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 dl rainbow quinoa
- 150g strawberries
- 150g feta cheese
- 1 tbsp hazelnuts
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 1 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon tree honey
- A handful of basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
1. Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer, and rinse thoroughly with cool water.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring 3 ¼ dl water to a boil. Add the quinoa, cover and cook over low heat for approximately 15 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Let it cool.
3. In the meantime, slightly toast the hazelnuts in a little saucepan for 1 minute.
4. Rinse and cut the strawberries. Chop the basil leaves into small pieces. Reserve some for decoration.
4. Prepare the dressing with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
5. In a bowl, put the strawberries, the feta cheese, the hazelnuts and quinoa. Add the dressing and the red pepper and toss. Decorate with some basil leaves. C’est prêt!