Let's say it straight away, I love figs and when it's the season I become totally obsessed with them. These little sun-drenched beauties are scrumptious I always have many ways to arrange them. The best way to appreciate the taste is to try them fresh though. I remember the ones I had for breakfast every single day of my vacation in the south of France with my very good friend Marie F. many years ago, and this year again in Croatia. Oh dear, they are to die for!
This time I chose to arrange them in a pizza with goat cheese and honey, figs' two best friends. Ispent hours in the kitchen, doing some experimentations in the kitchen to find the perfect pizza with figs and in particular the perfect whole wheat pizza crust I wanted.
To make a pizza sounds pretty simple, right? But when it comes to a whole wheat pizza crust, it can be very challenging to find the right texture and a pleasant taste. In my recipe I used both whole wheat flour and some plain flour (all-purpose flour). I obtained a delicate chestnut taste, a perfect pizza crust. I'm pretty happy with the recipe that came out of my experimentations. Just make sure you strech the dough enough otherwise the pizza base might be a bit thick.
The figs and goat cheese topping matches very well this whole wheat crust and its lovely chestnut taste. You obtain here a ravishing seasonal pizza with some fresh arugula and pine nuts on top of it. The thyme honey touch gives a delicate final touch, just make sure to find a honey of quality. Bon appétit!
Ingredients (Serves 2-4):
For the whole wheat pizza dough:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 3/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tbsp thyme honey
For the filling:
- 4 large fresh figs, sliced
- 100g fresh goat cheese, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 100g mozzarella
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 cup rucola/arugula salad
- 1 cup parmesan, grated
- 1 tbsp thyme honey
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Fresh thyme
- Salt & pepper
1. For the pizza dough: in a large mixing bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, instant yeast and salt. In a measuring cup, combine the water, olive oil and thyme honey. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the flour, stirring until combined, finishing the process with your hands.
Form a ball with the dough and transfer to a large clean bowl, covered with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, at least 1 hour.
Place the dough on a large sheet of parchment, then shape and strech until you have a thin 12-inch circle. To get the dough super thin, briefly roll with a rolling pin. Cover with a clean towel until ready to use.
2. Preheat the oven to 450F. Brush the edges of the pizza dough with olive oil and sprinkle in the garlic cloves and the fresh thyme. Scatter the mozarella cheese and the grated parmesan, then garnish with the sliced ingredients (figs, red onions and goat cheese). Toast the pine nuts in a small fried pan and spread around the pizza. Drizzle some thyme honey on top.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Display the fresh arugula salad on top of the pizza before serving.